So, people keep asking me how we like Cincinnati. Hard to say. So far, its...a city. Not a big city. Just, a city. Give me some more time, I'm sure I will have an opinion. I always do.
Observations about Cincinnati thus far:
1. They are OBSESSED with tanning. Tanning signs everywhere..."come get tan in the winter"... "one month of tanning free". Who goes tanning anymore? (sorry if you do...but really??) Did they forget to distribute the skin cancer memo in Cincinnati?
2. They also love Jesus. A lot. So much so that the "non-denominational " church we drove by near our house on Sunday had people directing traffic. In orange jackets. Like we were at Great Woods (or for you New Yorkers...Jones Beach) (ok, ok...for everyone else, an outdoor concert venue in the summer) Yup. Crowd control at church and it wasn't even Christmas.
3. Rush hour seems to last from exactly 830-9a. And 5-530p. Otherwise its smooth sailing into and out of downtown. But luckily, in the new economic stimulus package, this "very crowded" highway is due to get an extra lane to control traffic in the near future. Um......ok.
4. There are a lot of boarded up houses in the downtown area. I'm not sure I have ever legitimately seen a boarded up house in person before unless we were expecting a hurricane. But here, literally boards over all the windows right next to normal houses. It makes for some interesting streets...
5. Speaking of houses, in looking at real estate, they don't list square footage. I can literally reel off the average price per square foot in all my previous home states and cities as well as all neighboring communities. I can do the same party trick for about 15 random states as well (thanks HGTV!) but finding it out here? Near impossible unless we research the property records. "We just never have..." was the best answer I could get out of a real estate broker. Um, so that why when we were standing in a house that CLEARLY was 1800 sq. ft. he guessed it was 1000. Um, good try buddy. Sigh. I guess my obsession ends here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
glad to see you're getting some good use out of that monkey! the're about the same size now - doesn't it seem like just yesterday the monkey was dwarfing him? school's not really going to allow for a trip out to the O-H but people ask about you all the time, so keep the updates coming.
Let me know when the screenplay is ready.
They don't list square footage?! How do they expect to tell you about a place? "Um, it's a little bigger than a gas station, but not a really big truck stop..." What?!
I second the whole square footage issue. I was in real estate in Louisville when I lived there, and that is one of the most important things buyers and everyone else for that matter look at! I don't understand it one bit. Good thing I've been doing it for so long I can pretty much estimate from the size of the rooms listed.
Also the whole obsession with chili is beyond me.
Post a Comment